July 16, 2009

The Kruzenshtern (Halifax, Nova Scotia)

Digital original
The tall ships are in Halifax again this year, with several of the larger ones being berthed in the ocean-going piers near the mouth of Halifax Harbour.

The Kruzenshtern is a 375’ long Russian four masted barque and tall ship that was built in 1926 in Bremerhaven-Wesermünde, Germany, as shipyard number “S408” under the name Padua (named after the eponymous Italian city). She was given to the USSR in 1946 as war reparation and renamed after the early 19th century Baltic German explorer in Russian service, Adam Johann Krusenstern (1770-1846). The Kruzenshtern is the second largest ship in the Russian fleet.

Of the four remaining Flying P-Liners, the Ex-Padua is the only one still in use, mainly for training purposes, with her home ports in Kaliningrad (formerly Königsberg) and Murmansk. After the Sedov, another former German ship, she is the largest traditional sailing vessel still in operation. Originally, like all P-liners, she was painted according to the colours of the German national flag of the German Empire era, black (hull above water, topsides), white (waterline area) and red (underwater body).

No comments:

Post a comment

Feel free to make a comment, or ask questions!